Pages

Monday 6 January 2014

Let's take a peek at what Boden has to offer for s/s '14!

I was going to do a bit of a "whizz around the sales" post today but then the Boden catalogue dropped through the door and I decided to do a "whizz around what Boden has to offer" post instead.

In all honesty I haven't really paid the sales that much attention ALTHOUGH I did buy 18 walnut whips from M&S which were half price in the sale. Now that's what I call a result, although I'm not sure that they would make a very good outfit.

Despite the fact that we haven't really had any proper winter weather yet, in my head it's spring. The Christmas tree has been replaced with lilies, I have cleaned the kitchen top to bottom, bought new crisp white bed linen and in fact I'm about to open all of the windows. I fear that I may be brought back to reality with a bump when the snow appears.

The first thing that I look to do with my clothes when spring arrives (which clearly it hasn't - idiot) is to lighten up my boots, bag and coat.

So with that in mind I am looking to the Boho boot in gold (£119). However I would like to reassure you that these gold, sparkly looking, boots aren't really sparkly at all but instead they are a cracked leather. I have hovered over the online photo for a long time just to check. I like a gold boot to wear with the usual - jeans or jeans, or perhaps some cigarette trousers, some skinny trousers, or jeans - just for a change.


I love the design of this soft leather bowling bag (£139) and it comes in a variety of pretty colours. What else can I say about it? Short strap, long strap, front pocket, decent size. It works on lots of levels.


A white stripe on a navy background is a more forgiving way to wear a stripe than the other way around. The fact that the stripes are narrow also makes them easier to wear, so if you've previously been unsure about trying stripes, this Spring Trench (£129) could be worth a try. The returns policy is so good at Boden that it's always worth taking a punt on things, even if they don't end up working out and what says spring more than stripes?


Next I look to lighten my knitwear because, as you all know, I wear jumpers all year around. I like this Audrey jumper (£69) in yellow because of its 60's styling. As you may imagine, it too comes in a variety of colours so if you look at this and think "hmmm, not so sure about that one" the others may appeal instead.


I really like this Polperro jumper (£79) for when I'm sailing around the Med on our yacht drinking champagne. Oh, OK, you've got me. I'll actually be wearing it when I'm on the Brittany ferry with vomiting children going from Weymouth to Guernsey.


I love the style (sleeves/decent length) and colour of this Leila dress (£79) and the fact that because it is made of ponte, it will still have some warmth to it. It's one of those accessible/work horse type of dresses rather than a pretty, but useless, one that sits in the wardrobe. Style it with a statement necklace and a blazer for a smarter look or with converse or flat sandals when the weather is warmer. It depends where your waist is as to how well this dress fits (and as to where those babies have left their legacy in terms of a slight bump too!)


This Paddington dress in pink (£89) is a brilliant shift, with pretty detailing on the neckline. Easy to wear, you could play it safe with a darker colour but there's something lovely and cheery about the brighter colours.


I still wear a similar tunic that I had from Boden many years ago and it's great for the hot weather. It is long enough to be just about OK to wear out and about and it has enough shape and structure not to feel as though I'm wearing underwear. I love the print on this  Casual linen tunic (£69) which looks as though it should be worn in Sardinia, or Capri, or somewhere like that - but definitely not on a Brittany ferry, with vomiting children.


This year Boden has done their Chino short (£39) in two different lengths. I thought that it may be helpful for you to know about them as some prefer a longer length and knowing Boden, even the shorter ones should be long enough to stop anyone from getting arrested for crimes against fashion, or general, every day indecent exposure, type offences.


I have my eye on this soft marl sweatshirt (£45) to go with the above shorts. I'm imagining family games of rounders on the beach as the sun goes down - which we might just about manage. On a good day. Provided gin was involved.


I'm seeing these Cork platforms (£99) styled very casually with boyfriend jeans and a Breton top, or coloured skinny jeans - definitely not a low cut bodycon dress. Oooh, heavens no. That would not be a good look. Let's not go there.


Right, I'm off to open some more windows!